Winter Retreat 2016 is almost here! It is Jan. 15-18, 2016.
We are greatly looking forward to the weekend, and are excited to see how God will work during our time together at Camp Young Judaea in Wimberley, TX. Winter Retreat is designed to encourage students to go from knowing Jesus to following Jesus: something that we all have a choice in doing. We will be focusing on this choice as it relates to the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians 5:22. We’ll be asking students to Choose Holy: to choose the nine aspects of the fruit of the Spirit when presented with other options. Hence, our theme this year is “The Nine: Choose Holy”. Students will have the opportunity to learn more about The Nine and Choosing Holy through teaching from our speaker Caroline Hare from Destin, FL, through worship lead by the Matt Adler Band, and small group discussions with other students and leaders. We will have times of worship, special breakout sessions, sports, crafts, a high ropes course, and much more.
This year, for the first time, students and adults from other churches in our Las Misiones District of the UMC will be joining us!
CLICK HERE FOR THE PACKING LIST
CLICK HERE FOR THE MEDICATION FORM
CLICK HERE FOR THE HIGH ROPES COURSE PERMISSION FORM
If your student takes medications we need the medication form filled out and turned in with the medication.
- If a student takes medication, we need to have medication (in the prescription bottle from the pharmacy) along with the above medication form brought to the Student Ministry office sometime during January 11-14. We can take medications Monday – Thursday from 8:00 am – 5:00pm and Wednesday from 8:00am – 8:30pm. If you need a special time to drop off medication, please contact us. We suggest that parents send only the amount of medication that the student needs for the weekend. This will be helpful in keeping up with medication by not having to pick it up when the weekend is over. You can ask your pharmacist for another original bottle. All medications will be secured.
- All participants must have an updated Medical Information Form on file. Please drop a completed form off at the student ministry office or email it to email@example.com as soon as possible.
Below are a few additional items that you need to be aware of:
- Students will meet at the church at staggered times on Friday 1/15. Please arrive at your designated time, not earlier:
o High school students at 4:45 pm
o Middle school students at 5:15 pm
- All students need to bring dinner to eat while on the bus. Please do not bring anything with peanuts or cooked in peanut oil as we have some students with severe peanut allergies. This means no Chick-Fil-A.
- We will return to the church at 12:00pm on Monday January 18th. Please pick up your student at this time.
- There is a high ropes course available on Saturday afternoon 1/16. Please fill out the permission form so your student has the option to participate. This way, students have the ability to make that decision while at CYJ. That can be found at the link above.
Our bus ride will be approximately an hour and a half. We will be sitting with our small groups on the bus ride in order to get to know one another and share our sack dinner together.
All parents of students attending Winter Retreat are invited to a dinner in the student worship center right as the students leave. The purpose of this dinner is for parents to learn what the students will be learning on the retreat so conversations can continue at home. Aaron will be teaching parents what the students will learn at Winter Retreat during this time. Cost is $5 per person at the door to cover the cost of dinner. IF YOU WILL BE ATTENDING, PLEASE RSVP BY EMAILING BECKY AT BECKY@THEU.ORG BY WEDNESDAY 1/13.
Cell phones and other electronics are not allowed at Winter Retreat. Please help us with this by making your students leave these at home. Any of this that is found with students at Winter Retreat will be taken up until we get home on Monday. If there is an emergency, you will be able to get a hold of your student by calling Clay, Aaron, or Albert. Their numbers were email out to the parents of all participants and will be handed out at registration on Friday 1/15.
We are very excited about Winter Retreat and look forward to what God will be doing in the life of our ministry. Please spend the next week praying that Winter Retreat is a time in which the Holy Spirit moves among all of the students and adults in our ministry, and that we are encouraged to Choose Holy. Pray that those that don’t know Christ can meet him there and that those that do know Him will be encouraged to follow Him in the power of the Holy Spirit. We would also appreciate prayers for the health and safety of all participating.
Grace and Peace,
The U Student Ministry Team
Camp Young Judaea number: 713-723-8354 Physical address - 121 Camp Young Judaea Rd, Woodcreek, TX 78676
*** In an emergency if you cannot reach us, you can always call the church office as clergy are on-call and can contact us. ***